General Transport Manager
D& A are recruiting a permanent Transport General Manager for an esteemed client of ours. The role will be based in Snetterton. Salary £45,000 per annum.
The ideal candidate will be an integral part of the business that will lead and manage the transport area of the business. It will be your role to develop and implement the strategy’ improving sales profitability whilst ensuring the requirements of transport and health and safety law are adhered to or exceeded, taking full accountability for the financial result of their business area. You will be expected to develop and maintain effective commercial relationships with customers and suppliers and reflect the Company values.
Implement the overall branch strategy, delivering on sales and margin expectations and the efficient networking of vehicles across all Logistics sites.
- Translate strategic goals into action plans for their business area ensuring accountabilities and responsibilities are made clear and the team fully understands how their work impacts and contributes to the performance of the business’ adding real value for our customers and Company.
Leading and Managing
- Lead and manage their business area ensuring that there is an appropriate management structure in place with the capability and capacity to effectively lead and manage the performance of the operational teams and drivers, ensuring that the company, customer and legal standards are either met or exceeded, for example:
- Effective customer account management
- Management of warehousing and storage
- Financial and operational controls and reporting
- Transport and health & safety legal compliance
- Ensure the planning and utilisation of drivers and the vehicle fleet, including sub-contractors and agency meets all customer and company requirements. Making sure it is cost efficient and meets or exceeds budget expectations.
- Ensure vehicle loads are maximised at all times and vehicle empty running is minimised at all times.
- Ensure operational peaks i.e. Christmas, are effectively planned and executed meeting all customer needs.
- Ensure the Company values are understood and embraced by all employees and the team is fully engaged, possess a deep understanding of the business; adding real value to customers and the company.
- Forming a dignified environment where respect for all people is key and good communication is paramount.
- In conjunction with the company director, develop the financial budget for their business area taking full accountability for the financial performance of their area with appropriate cost controls in place and maintained such as the Company’s Purchase Order (PO) process.
- Fully utilise systems available to ensure business has all necessary data.
- Operate sufficient administration processes to ensure effective and accurate invoicing to customers.
- In conjunction with the company finance team ensure that there is an appropriate method of measurement, evaluation and review of their business area, KPIs, which ensure that the strategic and day to day performance targets are achieved in each key area of the business and the board are kept updated. Key areas of the business are:
- Operations – including meeting all reasonable customer demands/KPI
- Finance – including P&L performance, control of cash, management of credit risk, control of GIT/MR claims, currency risk etc.
- Business Development
- Legal Compliance and Health & Safety
Commercial and Customers
- The Transport manager will be the senior operational contact for key customers, it is paramount they maintain strong relationships which are reflective of the Company’s values and there is a process of customer service review that is applicable to each customer with accurate and insightful performance KPIs and associated improvement plans; proactively exploring opportunities for improvement, new business and/or services.
- Ensure opportunities that can grow and develop the business are identified and progressed, including, maintenance and development of a sales pipeline, generation of promotional material, website development etc. and keep the Board updated.
- Develop responses to tender, as required, presenting to Board for approval before progressing.
- Ensure the whole team understands customer needs, meets customer needs, delights customers and develops customer loyalty.
If you would like to be consideed for this role please apply, or alternatively call the office to speak to Paris or Andre on 01480 220249